[UPDATE] 3.5beta and 3.6alpha

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Mar 18 06:12:50 UTC 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 12:13 AM, Doug Way wrote, regarding
"Re: [ANN] 3.5 release plan":

> So with that in mind, here is the release plan for 3.5, which was
> recently finalized on the SqF list:

> Monday, March 17 - Move 3.5 to beta, and create a 3.6alpha update
> stream.  The update stream will include the usual choice to proceed to
> 3.5beta, or to jump to 3.6alpha.

I just noticed that this isn't exactly the "usual" choice... the
previous choice (for 3.4) for moving to the new alpha stream was
actually given when moving to gamma, not beta.  Although I think some
earlier releases have offered the choice when moving to beta.

In any case, there were no objections to that particular release plan
item, and I still think it's a good idea to open up the 3.6alpha stream
now rather that wait.  So, I went ahead and added the [UPDATE] to offer
the choice between 3.5beta and 3.6alpha as planned.

Keep in mind that 3.5 is on a short release cycle.  (See my post from
last Thursday.)  With 3.6alpha, we'll be on a more normal release
cycle, which will allow us to start incorporating a lot more fixes from
the community, among other things.

- Doug Way