Squeak History / Tiny Machines

Jack Johnson fragment at nas.com
Tue Mar 18 17:28:16 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> My intended point was that we seem to have forgotten how to manage with
> tiny machines. I'm sitting here at a 200MHz high performance descendant
> of the feeble 8MHz ARM cpu I used for the Active Book and the
> interactive performance is nowhere near as good. Ok, we're running 16bit
> colour instead of monochrome and the Squeak vm is not as clever as the
> Brouhaha one, but it really ought to be at least as good.

I've always thought this is a somewhat suprising general trend.

I understand we ask our computers to do more than we used to, but
sometimes you'll be doing a simple task, say a search and replace on a
large text file using some random utility on some random OS, and a newer
machine will take as long or longer than (the memory of) a machine from
a decade ago.

I remember being at MacWorld '97 and Apple touting their new "live
scrolling" Finder windows, something NeXT had been doing for nearly a
decade and countless others before that, and now Apple has come full
cycle back to a prettier NeXT OS, and somehow made a 1GHz G4 feel no
more responsive than a 25MHz 68040 (unless you're playing video).

Somewhere, collectively, we've forgotten how we accomplished the
impossible under limited resources.  Even projects like uClinux needs
nearly a meg of RAM for the kernel, but what would we have built with
the same hardware ( http://www.uclinux.org/ucsimm/ ) two decades ago?
(Or 25?  Am I really that old?)  It's as if we're dazzled by the myriad
new possibilities and forget that the dreams of 20 years ago are still a
stone's throw better than the status quo today.

The average embedded system has the capability of an enviable
workstation from twenty years past.  Give me my $30 Lisa Palmtop.  I
want to see if I can fill up a 16MB Flash.

Or better yet, let's replace all those TI85's in our kids' backpacks
with the Pocket Mac Classic.  I suspect the graphing calculator will
still work, and maybe ClarisWorks will make a revival.

-Jack