Squeak History / Tiny Machines

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 18 18:22:10 UTC 2003

I hate to even mention this, but live scrolling windows in Smalltalk
were one of the demo items that Dan Ingalls showed Steve Jobs when he
came to visit PARC for the first time in '79, and they were as
responsive or more than they are now. In fact, one of the fun on the
fly changes that Dan made was in response to a question from Steve as
to why the scrolling had to be line by line. Dan popped up the
browser and made it go scan line by scan line (with very acceptable
performance) in just a few seconds of changes. Needless to say, the
Apple visitors had never seen any like this.

No one "of a certain age" has forgetten how to do this stuff. It's
really a question of what amount of work should need to be put into
optimization in an experimental system that is trying to change. The
really annoying thing to me is Chuck Thacker's and Butler Lampson's
estimation that today's CPUs (with stuff they connect to, etc.) are
about 1000 times less efficient than was the Alto (whose 30th
birthday is in the first week of April). This is what is killing
experimentation. The choices Apple and other companies made as to
what kinds of CPU resources they should try to use have crippled the
industry (and was one of the main reasons why Smalltalk wasn't a
factor in the early 80s when people's opinions and habits about
programming were forming.

Cheers,

Alan

-------