Squeak History / Tiny Machines

Jack Johnson fragment at nas.com
Tue Mar 18 19:29:03 UTC 2003

Alan Kay wrote:
> No one "of a certain age" has forgetten how to do this stuff. It's
> really a question of what amount of work should need to be put into
> optimization in an experimental system that is trying to change. The
> really annoying thing to me is Chuck Thacker's and Butler Lampson's
> estimation that today's CPUs (with stuff they connect to, etc.) are
> about 1000 times less efficient than was the Alto (whose 30th birthday
> is in the first week of April). This is what is killing experimentation.

Part of me also wonders what will happen if/when we see multiple
terahertz machines and beyond.

I think some of the stagnation we see arises from the idea that the next
generation of hardware will solve any performance problems.  When we
reach a point where the next generation is twice as fast as "nearly
instantaneous" and we push the limits of human perception, we may
(collectively) start to go back and say, "OK, we can't do it
qualitatively faster, how can we do it better?"  Hopefully, that might
be an impetus to go back and look at all the work that's been done
before (and being done now) in a new light.

-Jack

P.S.
If so, it's interesting how limited resources and limitless resources
could converge to produce similar trends.