Squeak History... don't forget the Levco Prodigy! :-)

Javier Diaz-Reinoso javier_diaz_r at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 19:56:02 UTC 2003

On lunes, marz 17, 2003, at 23:03 America/Quito, Duane Maxwell wrote:

>> 	While reflecting on the early days of Smalltalk, let's not forget the
>> contribution of the San Diego-based Levco company -- Duane 'Squeaky'
>> Maxwell
>> being among the intrepid band of engineers who worked magic showing
>> Apple
>> the way. The Levco Prodigy 4 was a ground-breaking, price-busting
>> machine on
>> many levels.
>>

> Just for the record, nobody calls me "Squeaky".  Well, except maybe
> Jim, just now.  I understand the US Secret Service gets very nervous
> about people with the name "Squeaky", particularly the old-timers.
>
> I moved recently, and I ran across the little stack of floppies for
> Apple Smalltalk-80, though I think I may have been missing one.  I
> think I may even have a Mac lying around that can still read 800K
> floppies - I may even have a Mac SE in the garage that might run it.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> -- Duane
>
> PS.  I don't think we ever successfully sold a Prodigy upgrade for
> $10K - but there were a lot sold at $5K.

Using Disk Copy you can read 400K floppies in MacOS 9.2 and create .img
files, you can not mount the images in MacOS 8/9/X because the MFS file
system is not supported in this OSs.
I recently wrote a small Python script (my first program) to access
this images, and list the directory, view the text files and copy (with
the resource fork and fInfo), works with the version of Python
installed in MacOS X 10.2.4. Is in the Public folder of my iDisk with
the name 'utilMFS.py' (12KB).

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
Web: http://homepage.mac.com/javier_diaz_r/