ioMSecs et al.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 19 01:41:12 UTC 2003

Whilst cleaning up some code I had cause to take a look at the three
time related #defines in sq.h. since I recently acquired a way to get
microsecond timings for RiscOS I thought I'd give it a try by hooking up
to the ioMicroMSecs stuff intended for profiling garbage collection.
It looks like most platforms could produce microseconds for interval
timers (and anything over a billion microseconds is pretty irrelevant
for timing gcs - I hope!) and it would add a tiny bit of accuracy that
might be useful knowledge for tuning purposes. Currently we carefully
throw away anything below milliseconds.

The changes are pretty trivial (mostly removing a divide or two) in the
vm and simple in the image, although an altered vm would give odd
seeming results for older images. Does anyone have any strong opinions
on the matter?

tim
Useful random insult:- A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world.