WinCE VM capabilities?

vasic at infonie.fr vasic at infonie.fr
Wed Mar 19 05:29:06 UTC 2003

Brian Brown <rbb at techgame.net> wrote:
> Does the VM on the CE platform (either GAPI or non) have the ability to utilize
> the sound hardware on these PDA's?
>
> thanks!

Yes.

I have installed Squeak on IPAQs (80 of them), along with Commanche
server, and made Squeak run in batch mode (GUI-less). The server records
voice (or plays it) and send the files (encoded in WAV format) to a
Windows NT server running Lotus Domino. The send process runs in
background (queue based).

The Squeak server also is able to play notification sounds (fire in
house, call me back please and so on...) at any time on request from the
Domino server.

The whole project was done for a privately hold company, which provides
different kind of services for old people. Each nurse holds an IPAQ. As
I said there are 80 of them, and a bunch of desktop PC. AFAIK everything runs fine.