Squeak in robotics

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 19 08:47:34 UTC 2003

Johannes Jansson <j.jansson at qut.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello squeak list.
> My name is Johannes and I just subscribed to the list. Hope I can find it
> useful. I'm currently working on a project in robotics at Queensland

Welcome! And you will. :-)

> University of Technology, Australia. The idea of the project is to use
> Squeak as a base for programming smart devices in a distributed manner.
> Squeaks dynamic and effective OO properties makes it suitable for this

> topic, and the open source and portability are also important. The only
> problem is that Squeak is sequential and does not work in a distributed
> manner. Hopefully my work will result in a Squeak version that's possible

Well, there are stuff out there in this regards. First, several
different attempts have been made regarding RMI-similar capabilities,
the two prominent may be:

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/soapopera - A SOAP
implementation.
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/rst - Something more
Squeak specific in the same vein.

And then of course, we have Magma - an OODB similar to GemStone which
does give you distributed access to a shared object model:
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagebyname/magma

I also know Stephen Pair has been doing funky stuff with "remote object
memories", but I don't know the status on that.

Well, some stuff to get you started!

> to run distributed and fully concurrent, for you people to enjoy. And of
> course a port that's suposed to be used in embedded devices.
> I will probably run in to questions along the way and hope it's ok to throw
> them out here.

That's what the list is for.

> I got the first one here, and I'm wondering whether there has been any work
> with Squeak related to my work, and related to the earlier tries with
> 'Concurrent Smalltalk' and various distributed Smalltalk ideas?

Oh yes, see above. And there is plenty more.

> cheers Johannes.

regards, Göran

PS. Your name sounds *very* Swedish btw, are you from Sweden?