Squeak in robotics

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Mar 19 11:52:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:46:21 +1000
Johannes Jansson <j.jansson at qut.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello squeak list.

Hi Johannes.

> My name is Johannes and I just subscribed to the list. Hope I can find it
> useful. I'm currently working on a project in robotics at Queensland
> University of Technology, Australia. The idea of the project is to use
> Squeak as a base for programming smart devices in a distributed manner.
> Squeaks dynamic and effective OO properties makes it suitable for this
> topic, and the open source and portability are also important. The only
> problem is that Squeak is sequential and does not work in a distributed
> manner. Hopefully my work will result in a Squeak version that's possible
> to run distributed and fully concurrent, for you people to enjoy. And of
> course a port that's suposed to be used in embedded devices.
> I will probably run in to questions along the way and hope it's ok to throw
> them out here.
> I got the first one here, and I'm wondering whether there has been any work
> with Squeak related to my work, and related to the earlier tries with
> 'Concurrent Smalltalk' and various distributed Smalltalk ideas?

I'm also working on a new project about reconfigurable robots sine january 2003 and i would like to use
Squeak. Maybe we can share some thoughts and code about that ;-)
I'm also the maintainer avec Actalk, a concurrent object-oriented framework from Jean-Pierre Briot available on SqueakMap.

--
Serge Stinckwich                                         -< )  multiagent.com
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD                /~\  squeak.org