Squeak in robotics

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Mar 19 15:27:19 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 11:46 pm, Johannes Jansson wrote:

> My name is Johannes and I just subscribed to the list. Hope I can
> find it useful.

Welcome! I'm sure you will find this list useful (at least some of
it).

> I'm currently working on a project in robotics at
> Queensland University of Technology, Australia. The idea of the
> project is to use Squeak as a base for programming smart devices in
> a distributed manner. Squeaks dynamic and effective OO properties
> makes it suitable for this topic, and the open source and
> portability are also important.

I've just designed an intelligent USB-connected I/O controller
(picture at
http://bike-nomad.com/misc/bionodePrototype.jpg) that I'm going to use
from Squeak. Especially when combined with either the async file
support in OSProcess or with Flow, this makes it easy to control
devices.

> The only problem is that Squeak is
> sequential and does not work in a distributed manner. Hopefully my
> work will result in a Squeak version that's possible to run
> distributed and fully concurrent, for you people to enjoy. And of
> course a port that's suposed to be used in embedded devices. I will
> probably run in to questions along the way and hope it's ok to
> throw them out here.

Of course!

It may be a challenge to put Squeak in a small embedded device, but
Squeak certainly has embedded potential.

I'm using Squeak to run the Microship (http://www.microship.com)
systems.

--
Ned Konz