Why so few garage processors? (was Re: Squeak History / TinyMachines)

Torsten Sadowski moehl at akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 20 10:49:45 UTC 2003

You should find out first, if building a whole new processor is necessary
and viable. I have collected quite a number of articles about OO
processors including the Xerox machines, Recursive(both SuperCISC) and
SOAR(RISC). There are also some Java processors around. It seems that the
difficult problems are OO storage and method finding whereas the actual
bytecode-interpreter is a bit more simple. My personal interest faded when
I realized how much work it would be and when I read an article by David
Ungar "Is Hardware Support for OO Languages really necessary". He says no
and he was one of th main designers of SOAR. Language requirements change
and processors are rather static which might lead to dead ends as CS goes
on.

It seems much more viable to use an existing processor and a FPGA for
peripheral support. There exists such a design at the Technical University
in Berlin and I'm triyng to get my hands on such a board. It uses an ARM,
has 32 MB SDRAM and an FPGA for some other stuff. Material costs are about
100EUR. Also the DEC Itsy looks promising as a base design. If you havcan
spend some money have a look at "Fred" at
http://www.kws-computer.de/kwscom/pro86E.html

In my opinion it might be interesting to have two memory buses. One very
fast (at processor rate) running the VM and a slower for the image. There
is an inherent bandwidth preservation in bytecoded languages.

Torsten Sadowski

P.S. The last interim Dynabook was the Newton. Pity it died.