[Q] Menus, Icons and Licenses

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 24 11:17:26 UTC 2003

Mike Roberts <mike at mjr104.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:59:06PM -0500, diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:
> > Hi guys...
> >
> > I'm modifying the menu to include icons (see the atached image).
>
> Hi Diego,
>
> I don't know if you have already seen these
>
> http://svgicons.sourceforge.net/
>
> They are reported to be under a BSD-style license.  I found the link here
>
> http://www.stevewaring.net/blog/archives/2003Feb.html  -> Icons
>
> Is this license ok?

I looked and on SF it is classified as BSD. I did a download but
couldn't find a license file in the zip. But assuming this is the "new"
BSD without the advertising clause I assume it would be fine for Squeak
- BSD (without the ad clause) is more or less the same as MIT, see more
on www.opensource.org/licenses.

Possibly you could ask Vadim Plessky if you could also get them under
Squeak-L. Since then we would have no problems whatsoever of placing
them in "official Squeak". Since Squeak-L is more restrictive than
BSD/MIT/Xfree etc that should be no problem - the only problem is that
he may not be aware of how these things work and you could get a hard
time convincing him. But its definitely worht a try - he probably wants
as many projects as possible to use his work.

Note: There is no legal problem of including MIT/BSD/Xfree-licensed
material in official Squeak - but currently we are trying to keep
everything in there under ONE license to simplify any pending
renegotiation of the license from Apple. The longterm aim for the
community (as perceived by most of us) is to move towards a
MIT/BSD-stylish license for official Squeak too.

regards, Göran