[ANN] [ENH] Menus Enhancements

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Mon Mar 24 19:20:47 UTC 2003

Göran,

> First of all - I looked at a few screenshots (menu, window) and it
> really looks slick. Keep up the good work!

Nice to hear!

> Are these "look
> enhancements" meant to be packaged as an installable "look" or are they
> simply
> proposed enhancements to Morphic? I am just a bit worried of "bloat".

I think it can be an enhancement.

> And people that may not like these improvements shouldn't be stuck with
> them. :-) For example, doing TrueType and gradients etc probably does
> suck some CPU.

All the new features can be removed from a preference option.
(gradientMenu, menuWithIcons and menuAppearance3d)

> And these menues/windows also look larger than the
> standard look.

The fonts I'm using are bigger, but my changes DON'T depend on these fonts
sizes. One of the screenshots shows a menu with default fonts
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/3128/Menu4.PNG).

> About licenses - well, since IANAL either I think it goes roughly like
> this:
>
> 1. If you can get some artwork under Squeak-L *and* MIT
> (http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html) that would be
> perfect. If you could find stuff under MIT then that author could
> possibly be persuaded to dual-license it under Squeak-L too.
>
> 2. If you can only get it under MIT then that would probably for all
> practical reasons be ok too, but then the artwork would have to be in a
> package not included in "official Squeak", since we are trying to keep
> "official Squeak" under Squeak-L in order to simplify any negotiations
> around that.
>
> Anyway, this is my personal current understanding/position. :-) Exactly
> how important the "Only Squeak-L for official Squeak stance" is - I
> don't know, but we are still maintaining it.

Thank you very much for your help!

> regards, Göran

Cheers,

Diego