oo hardware

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Mar 24 22:49:45 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
	If I remember right though, Dis/Inferno/whatever is suposed to be aimed
	at the embedded area and memory is definitely still a concern. And it
	simply annoys me when a professionally published paper by people as
	experienced and well known as Rob Pike get something so basic wrong.
	Makes me wonder what else is wrong.

I looked at Inferno when it became available.  In the VM description,
they implemented assignment like this:
    x = y
	decrement x's ref count
	increment y's ref count
	move y to x
which of course means that x = x can give you a dangling pointer.
I don't know if the text reflected the actual state of affairs, though.