license viability (was "Closure Compiler")

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Tue Mar 25 21:46:00 UTC 2003

Hi Cees--

> SqueakL is of course just as much a farce as anything else. Ever
> since I saw exactly the same code comments deep in the bellows of VW
> and Squeak I wondered whether a) Apple has duly documented what code
> licensed from <insert ancient name of Smalltalk-80 company here> has
> flown into Squeak, how comes they could 'open source' that stuff...

	No problem there, it seems. Quick summary:

-	Xerox licenses ST80 v1 to Apple and others, Apple can do what it likes
with what it derives from v1.
-	Xerox creates v2, derived from v1, uses more restrictive v2 license
for v2.
-	Xerox transfers rights to v2 to ParcPlace (for the legendary $1),
retaining a non-exclusive license to use v2 itself.
-	ParcPlace creates VisualWorks, derived from v2.
-	Apple creates Squeak, derived from v1.

	So it just happens that VisualWorks and Squeak are both derived from
v1, but there doesn't seem to be a "code taint" problem.

> ...and b) who is going to protect you/us if Cincom decides that
> 'their' code is in Squeak and it shouldn't be there.

	That's always a risk no matter what, I guess.

-C