Blasted $#!%& Pool dictionaries...

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Mar 26 07:49:33 UTC 2003

om

My AI prof wants me to implement a learning system involving a
connect4/tic-tac-toe like game on a 5x5 board...

So I started with the chess game and started modding...
I messed up a few times (accidently modding the chess board instead of
the new classes...)

Eventually I got it right, so I thought, and now I have an eanly
prototype of the new game... (it works a little but there is no
mechanism yet...)

-- and then I went back with the intent of trying my luck in a game of
Chess: Man Vs. Mouse... (I might just beat it someday! =P ;)

As some of you might have guessed, the damn thing didn't work..

I tried from hours trying to figure it out...
I compared an instance of the borked chessboard with an instance of one
in a virgin immage...

After another hour of searching I discovered that though I hadn't made
any changes to any of the chess classes, my new mutant classes were
still leaching off the same pool dictionary as three of the chess
classes and that is why I spent 3 hours debugging the damn thing...

I seperated the dictionaries and then made some triival change to the
class definitions of the chess classes and got those to recompile and
the chess game worked again....

and then my motherboard overheated and I spent a few hours resusitating
my cursed penguin-infested Athlon 800... (This involved removing an inch
of dust from the intake vent, and then drilling out the entire inner
grill so that it won't happen again.)

When the machine was restored to health, I realized that it would be
much better to have a way to use some command to recompile all classes
sharing a dictionary or arbitrarily recompile a class in some elegant
way...

How do I do this?

BTW: I tried the new IRC client but I couldn't get it to connect to
irc.extropy.org -- it really shouldn't be hard to set it to an arbitrary
host...

I couldn't get it to save anything on the first page of settings
either...

BTWBTW: How do you manage persistant data from within the squeak immage?
TNhere was some talk about using squeak as a database system but how do
you find instances of data objects that may be in the immage?

--
Having never read a manual, it takes less effort to hack something
togeather with www.squeak.org than it does with C++ and five books.