[ANN] Closure Compiler

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 26 12:59:31 UTC 2003

This sounds good. The only problem I can think of with this, is that
SqueakL includes the indemnification clause, which specifically mentions
Apple. This bugs Debian people, and rightly so.

However, we might be able to replace this with the language from CPL
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl.php), which provides some
indemnification protection, without naming names.

Andrew, do you think this might work?

If so, we should draft the Squeak-Free-L, try to run it by Debian, and
if they like it, we remove the fonts, and sublicense Squeak. Since it's
allowed by the current license of Squeak, it doesn't require talking to
every contributor (though that might help clear things up even more
thoroughly).

Daniel

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Göran,
>
> > 	Squeak-L permits sublicensing as long as the new
> > license "no less protective of Apple" etc. Could we create
> > a sublicense then in which we simply dumpl clause 6? Export
> > has nothing to do with Apple, has it?
>
> Interesting idea in fact. This might work (but only a lawyer can tell you).
> What would be good about this were that the new license could be a little
> less "Apple centric" in its verbage. The new license could actually exclude
> the font clause given that no Apple fonts were in the release.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

*************************** SqueakL indemnification clause
 5. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold Apple harmless from
any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including but not
limited to attorneys' fees and costs of suit) incurred by Apple as a
result of any claim, proceeding, and/or judgment to the extent it arises
out of or is connected in any manner with the operation, use,
distribution or modification of Modified Software, or the combination of
Apple Software or Modified Software with other programs; provided that
Apple notifies Licensee of any such claim or proceeding in writing,
tenders to Licensee the opportunity to defend or settle such claim or
proceeding at Licensee's expense, and cooperates with Licensee in
defending or settling such claim or proceeding.