[ANN] Closure Compiler

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Mar 26 20:04:52 UTC 2003

Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> This is not legal advice, just a wild-assed estimate of a lawyer thrown
> out without having done any substantive research:
>
> Almost any license not expressly made irrevocable or associated with the
> transfer of a property interest is revocable.  A free license, even
> moreso.  Not that the defendant would not have a litigable issue -- one
> argument against revocation is that the license induced a reasonable and
> material change of position on the part of the licensee.  I can tell you
> that it would be highly fact-specific, and an expensive lawsuit to
> settle the question.  My guess is that virtually every open-source
> license is likely revocable to a point -- until substantial material
> dollars are invested or an express statement that the license is
> irrevocable is made by the licensor.  The Apache license is probably NOT
> revocable, but Squeak-L might be.

What would make Apache not and Squeak maybe?
What is the difference? What could the Squeak community do about it?

Disney put significant salaries into an Apple licensed Squeak
development. Some startups have also. Cees probably could attribute
certain dollar figures to Squeak development time.

Many on the list here have put in significant personal time which if
placed at their billable rates would be a significant amount of money.

What type of consideration did Apple give Xerox for a v1 license?
 From my understanding it was without fee or royalty?

Just trying to understand the revocability situation.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin