[ANN] Closure Compiler

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Mar 26 22:54:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 18:12, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> Betcha it would be easy to do so, if only we can get the institutions
> in line and some consensus for a license.

And that, my dear listeners, remains the $1000 question for today.

The issue is of course:
- how, when are we going to take concerted action;
- when are we going to decide that the institutions are not coming into
line and keep hurting ourselves with license discussions and
restrictions on what to include for a possible future?

As a realist, I don't think they are going to bother. There's nothing to
gain either for Apple or for Disney, and there's a decent cost
associated with it (I cannot imagine that they are simply going to sign
on a license switch without due process involving a legal councel,
etcetera). It'd be nice to think that they would be interested in good
PR for us folks, 1000-and-some hackers around a great product, but I
don't think so.

As an idealist, I say we should attempt it nevertheless. However, we
should *do* something (which, I fear, SqC should come into action)
instead of debating this every 6 months.