Naive Question of the Naive VM extension dream

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 27 07:38:07 UTC 2003

Hi

I have the following question:

Context:
	- we are developing ClassBox a module system
(http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/SCG/559) and
	alex started to extend the VM in Slang and now he spent a lot of time
debugging in C.

Question:
	I was naively thinking that the VMInterpreter could help us there (if
it would work in 3.4).
	Now my question what can we really do with the VMInterpreter. I
thought that it was used to develop
	the Squeak VM (debugging it....) is it correct? what are the limits of
the approach (can we access
	the VM internal structure...?)

Final Question:
	Does somebody has a version running in 3.4 because it seems to me that
this is key asset of Squeak
	for exploring new ideas?

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html