Naive Question of the Naive VM extension dream

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 27 07:59:03 UTC 2003

Hi craig

Thanks ***a lot***. Alex wants to try everything himself (which is
bold) but
the strength of Squeak is also its mailing-list and the good people in.
So he will certainly contact you.

I want to learn in the process because we may we want to play (again)
with the VM in the future

Stef

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 08:53 AM, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Stephane--
>
>> Now my question what can we really do with the Interpreter. I
>> thought that it was used to develop the Squeak VM (debugging it...)
>> is it correct?
>
> 	Yes!
>
>> what are the limits of the approach (can we access the VM internal
>> structure...?)
>
> 	You can indeed access the VM internal structure. The main limit of the
> approach is speed. :)  And because of that there are some obvious
> timing
> problems when debugging certain things like media processing. But on
> contemporary machines (>= 1GHz) a simulated interpreter session is
> quite
> usable. :)
>
>> Does somebody have a version running in 3.4...
>
> 	I do.
>
>> because it seems to me that this is key asset of Squeak for exploring
>> new ideas?
>
> 	I quite agree. I've made sure to keep it functional and up-to-date
> ever
> since Bijan asked me to demo it last April, and I had to go back to 2.7
> to do it. :)  I've fixed some more bugs in it since Anthony's changes
> (e.g., snapshotting from the outside). I plan to release them along
> with
> Squat.
>
> 	I'd be happy to help. If you haven't already, check out the Swiki page
> I wrote about running the simulator:
>
> 	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2465
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> http://netjam.org/resume
> craig at netjam.org

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html