[ANN] Closure Compiler

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 27 09:44:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 02:01, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> At any rate, the likelihood of consensus of
> adopting a GPL license is virtually nil.

Yup. But I don't think that Daniel was suggesting that. The DFSG
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines) is a simple set
of requirements that most 'open source', 'free software', ... licenses
pass. SqueakL seems to fail on points 1 and 5, and the indemnification
clause made Debian unhappy to distribute Squeak at all (even in the
'non-free' section).

A cleaned-up SqueakL would clearly pass the DFSG.

> Most of us just don't buy that Squeak's audience is materially limited
> by the present license.

Not limited as in 'people who happen to stumble over Squeak are able to
use it'. However, due to the fact that wide-spread distribution is
limited, the number of people who happen to stubmle over Squeak is
limited. That's, IMHO, the whole idea of making Squeak open source -
making sure that more people are going to use it.

> While all that would be
> welcome, I would NOT agree to compromises of the legal stability of the
> system to achieve it.

I agree 100%.