Remote message-sending & security ( Was: RE: Squat progress, 26 March 2003 )

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 27 22:50:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 23:10, Brent Vukmer wrote:
> I was thinking vaguely about image-to-image message sending and security last week -- thinking that it might be easier to secure communications among a cloud of images, than to convert the current monolithic system to capabilities.

It certainly is an interesting angle - as the VM code segments would be
shared, it could be quite light-weight to have tens or even hundreds of
100k images chatting with each other.

Apart from security, you'd also want some minimal-on-demand code loading
scheme. That is to say, you wouldn't want to suck in whole packages, but
probably fault on the class/method level in order to keep per-image
memory usage down to a minimum.

Anyway, Craig, I'm looking forward to the minimal image, if only because
it gives me a good reason to exercise the SMP-ness of my PC ;-)