Porting Squeak to SH4

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 28 00:22:58 UTC 2003

> I'm just wondering if anyone has done any work on porting Squeak to the
> Hitachi SH4 processor
It's not so much an issue of porting to a particular CPU as to an OS and
its associated libraries. Thus far there is virtually nothing in the VM
or image that is CPU dependent except the narrow case of byte endian
order - and that is all handled in the code anyway.

If you have a bare board system then I imagine you also have some kind
of compiler and runtime library in order to be able to do anything. For
basic Squeak support you only need an ANSI C library and some way to
compile or cross-compile. The real work of Squeak porting right now is
coping with the astounding nonsense that most OSs seem to love to throw
at us. Have you seen how X does clipboard handling? How Macs do file
stuff? Ouch. A bare system is almost a relief.

Then again, what on earth are you doing wasting time on a dumb SH4?
Get an ARM. :-)

tim
"How many Pak Protectors does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Only one,
but the lightbulb has to smell right."