Scamper removal

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Mar 30 01:19:33 UTC 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Adam Spitz wrote:

> For now I've done something similar to what Daniel did with Celeste: I
> left a little tiny class called WebBrowser in the image, which allows
> web browser packages to register themselves with it. So if you're
> writing some unrelated package and you want to be able to open a web
> browser, you can write "WebBrowser preferred" instead of "Scamper", and
> if there's no web browser registered you'll get a little message saying
> so.

If we're going to keep doing this, we should maybe generalize it further,
so that you would have something like

Service named: #webBrowser
Service named: #mailReader

and then the installers could do

Service registerClass: Scamper as: #webBrowser

Thinking further, it seems like this and the registering file list are
both just instances of the kind of mime-type handler registries that most
web browsers and file managers have these days.  Maybe that's the
direction we want to go?

Avi