Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Mar 30 09:27:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Avi I understood that you used sourceforge for storing SeaSide code.
> Could you tell us more?

I use sourceforge basically just as a public CVS repository.  The files
managed by CVS are DVS packages, which makes it easy to sync up with other
people that are working on it - cvs update followed by a DVS fileIn and
your image is up to date.  The docs at
http://beta4.com/squeak/aubergines/docs/dvs.html describe this process a
little more.  The DVS fileout format is consistent enough that merges of
concurrent modifications don't often have conflicts, and the conflicts
that do happen are easy to resolve, so although it ain't ENVY it's worked
out pretty well.

However, I'm not sure how well this would work for kernel hacking - it
seems like the changes you're making might well involve tricky,
order-dependent modifications rather than simple edits of class or method
definitions.  Hopefully you can get away with having most of your
source files being DVS files, with one or two hand-edited changesets that
you'll have to take a little more care to merge and so on.

If you need help getting this set up, I'm happy to answer more
questions...

Avi