Serial port usage on Mac OS/X?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Mar 30 17:10:49 UTC 2003

I just got a USB-to-serial adapter and would like to use it with
Squeak. However, I can't see the serial port using the built-in
SerialPort class. It's evident that the MacOS serial support doesn't
know about arbitrary serial devices in the /dev/ directory.

The adapter appears as /dev/usbserial-something.

Is there some way I can make this work? I've tried the released
version of 3.4-1 Mac OS/X VM.

I also downloaded Ian's 3.5devel Unix version, but it needed a library
that I didn't have (libiconv). And since I was on the end of a 28Kbps
link, I didn't bother.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz