Running Squeak apps off the net

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Mar 30 21:41:39 UTC 2003

On Sunday 30 March 2003 01:25 pm, jennyw wrote:
> One of the things that drew me to Squeak initially was that I was
> under the impression that one could run Squeak applications over
> the net ... kind of like going to a Web site but getting a
> full-blown app. instead of a Web page.  Was this a misimpression on
> my part? Or is this something in the works?  I got this impression
> because I read something comparing Squeak to REBOL saying that
> Squeak had it first ...

Yes, this works.

There are two modes for this.

First, you can run Squeak inside a web browser. Look at
www.squeakland.org for a quick installation. You have a Squeak image
and VM (as a browser plugin), and then you can run Squeak projects
that are on the net.

Second, you can load and run external projects.

You're probably safer using the browser plugin, though; there's a
security model that it implements that makes it more difficult to
damage anything on your machine.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com