Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Mar 31 15:26:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 09:30:49AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Yep. Well, Squeak doesn't "play" that well with filebased source
> management tools.
> In Squeak we now have DVS which essentially is a "smart"
> file-in/file-out mechanism which makes it at least practical to use CVS
> or any other filebased source management tool - but it is still not a
> perfect fit and will probably never be.

This isn't so much a suggestion as a potentially dumb question, but ...

If there was an option to filed-out in a directory structure instead of
a single file, such as:

category/classname/classdef
category/classname/methodcategory/method1
category/classname/methodcategory/method2
etc.

And filed-in in the same manner, wouldn't source control systems be able
to handle that better?  I know this probably wouldn't work well in CVS
(since it doesn't support renames), but with Subversion (successor to
CVS), BitKeeper, or a number of more recent CMS systems, it might work
better.  Or not?

Jen