[Q]Player Protocol tiles(& user extensions)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Mar 31 18:45:50 UTC 2003

On Monday 31 March 2003 10:31 am, Cheryl Denise Seals wrote:
> Thanks Ned,
>
> I generally use classic tiles (since I like to add parameters)
> and switch to text mode, which is great for my use
> but I want to add tiles to categories to add a few methods that
> I've found useful for novices after doing a small study with about
> a dozen teachers... Cheryl

I've only been able to do this by changing the protocols in normal
Smalltalk code.

For an example of how to do this, look at my RCXMorph change set,
which is at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2412/RCXMorph-nk.1.cs

This may require other change sets from
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2412 to operate.

Basically, the formula is:

* define some new methods in Player to do what you want. These may
talk to the costume (the Morph)

* define methods in the appropriate Morph class(es) if necessary to
support those Player  methods

* define additionsToViewerCategories in your Morph class

* run "Vocabulary initialize"

Bob Arning described this back in 2001
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2001-April/019421.html

--