DVS doesn't show changes?

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.com
Fri May 2 19:17:14 UTC 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:03  AM, Eric Scharff wrote:

> On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:11 AM, Colin Putney wrote:
>
>> First, it might be a good idea to switch to Monticello. Someday, it
>> will be a full-fledged versioning system for Squeak. For now, it's a
>> better DVS.
>
> Ah.  I was afraid of something labeled "Alpha" with respect to version
> control.

A sensible attitude. And thanks to Julian for pointing out what I
should have - it works very well, but it's still under development, so
the fileOut format can still change. This is a bit of a hassle when you
have concurrent development going on.

>> Second, you can still use change sorters in conjunction with
>> Monticello or DVS, they just don't know anything about packages.
>
> I don't see how.  Yes, changes show up in the change sorter, but I
> don't see how you can easily compare stuff on disk to stuff in the
> image.  All the changes go into the current change set, rather than
> into a new change set which would make it easier to tell what has
> changed in what versions.
>
> What I want is really pretty simple.  After I do a CVS update and a
> fileIn, I want to browse the new changes, just the ones since my last
> update.  What is the easiest way to do this?

Ok, here's the scenario, broken down pedantically.

- "Load" the package using DVS.
- start a new change set, called 'working'
- make some changes.
- "File Out" using DVS.
- cvs update
- resolve conflicts
- start a new change set ('update')
- "File In" using DVS
- switch to 'working' change set
- make some more changes
- "File Out" using DVS
- cvs update
- cvs commit

At this point, you've got two change sets. The one called 'update' is
all the changes made by somebody else. The one called 'working' has all
the changes you made.

Colin

Colin Putney
Whistler.com