[Q] Newbie - Multiple Return Values

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 2 21:00:07 UTC 2003

Can't say I've ever seen the block example in code that I've look at so
I thought it was
neat. Mind I wonder about the expense of doing the block evaluation etc
etc from a performance viewpoint.

I'll note in going for the class solution, later when you refactor you
can commit all sorts of crimes in the class
acting as a middle man between the legacy system, and the new system
which uses altered values
because change can be done in the NetworkRequestResult versus what
created it.

Not sure if this was obvious to most folks, sometimes you can change
the middle, but not the base because
of oddball political reasons. Testing, statistical collection etc all
are things you can more easly do.

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 01:43  PM, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is a really good advice. If you download the ESUG CD there are
> article of Erwing
> Juanita and she presents exactly this solution to this problem.
>
> Stef
>
>> Just my 2 cents...
>>
>> It's rarely overkill to create new class, like NetworkRequestResult.
>>
>> It could contain a status and any accompanying messages.  As far as I
>> can
>> tell, the only real overhead in creating another class, is the metal
>> energy to
>> keep track of it...
>>
>> Delbert

>> --