[IDEA]Central file management by .ext / mime-type.

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun May 4 03:35:34 UTC 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Sean Charles wrote:

> In a nutshell: A file manager object that can know of all file types and
> be THE single point of contact for creating filenames, management blah
> blah blah...

There is something kind of like this in Dynapad, to be released in the
next version.  Except in my system, it's dealing with objects in an object
database (Magma) rather than files.  You have data object-types which are
identified by their class and can have any number of viewers, editors and
transformers defined for the class.   There is a scrolling multiple-list
(like in OS X) viewer for selecting where you want to "save" your data.

This probably isn't quite what you're meaning, but I see it as the next
step forward.

Something like this could be adapted to a system which used regular files,
but I don't be the one to write it. :)  The system was actually pretty
easy to write because we're only dealing with objects and classes rather
than having to deal with mime and extention voodoo.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"Like the creators of sitcoms or junk food or package tours, Java's designers were
consciously designing a product for people not as smart as them."  ::  paul graham