Squid VM

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at hetnet.nl
Sun May 4 21:28:41 UTC 2003

Hi Anthony.

I'm interested in what you're working on, and I have a couple more
questions:

- are you thinking in any way about how your language would run on
multiple machines (i.e. by making it possible to have "special" objects
that may act as stubs)?

- have you considered how your VM could possibly work on a computer with
multiple processors (processes or CPU's).

- have you considered having multiple sources for objects - i.e. from
multiple images, object storage databases, remote objects, ...

(thought: making assignment ( := ) and reading of variables forms of
message passing that could be overrided would allow these tricks)

- And  would it be possible to make a language-independant VM, perhaps
with modifications to respective compilers, that could compile and
interpret Squeak, ANSI Smalltalk or Squid. Redesigning a wheel is better
than reinventing it.

Michael.