Let's awake!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun May 4 22:20:42 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Hi diego
>
> I **really** understand your point :).
Me too - but I have some explanations as to why it might seem to be
happening.

First problem is time. Even those of us that are unemployed right now
have plenty of stuff to do including trying to find ways to avoid
checking into the Cardboard Condo. For example, I'm taking in model
plane building work. It takes a lot of time and thought to do proper
reviews of code; you need to read and understand and consider the
architectural implications. You only need to look at some of the code
currently in the system to see that this has not always been done in the
past.

Second problem is time - or in this case time coordination. I write some
code that needs reviewing by Andreas, who is in Germany (or not,
depending) in a different timezone. That screws up communication and
makes things take longer. Even with people that work in the same office
building it can be difficult to arrange reviews!

Third problem is simply attention and getting it. We're all volunteers
here and nobody _has_ to pay attention.

> Stef
>
> PS: if we could get money for two persons full time improving Squeak
> this would solve a lot of problems. I'm really wondering how we could
> make this happens.
Hah! Me too. Anyone that can think of (and implement) a way for me to
make the really quite small amount of money needed to keep me alive and
net-connected would be a hero forever.

tim

Useful random insult:- His data bus stops for red lights.