Let's awake!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon May 5 06:57:14 UTC 2003

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 08:15 AM, Hans Nikolaus Beck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for my ignorance - just for understanding:  what is
> - SqC

squeak central the previous disney group.

> - MCP
Morph cleaning project

> - KCP ???
Kernel cleaning project

Both goals are to clean and produce a better Squeak.

> Greetings
>

> Hans
>

> Am Sonntag, 04.05.03 um 20:19 Uhr schrieb
> <diegogomezdeck at consultar.com>:
>
>> Hi guys...
>>
>> The following is an email I'm thinking to write for weeks.
>>
>> To say it shortly: Squeak is dieing in front of us...
>>
>> Since SqC leaves the "dictatorship" role we don't find the way to
>> continue.  Despite the apparent organization and procedures we had
>> created,
>> simply in the last months we was not able to satisfy the expectations.
>>
>> To probe my point just take a look to the amount of fixes waiting for
>> approval and the changes produced by MCP and KCP.
>>
>> Personally, I paused my work in MCP until something happens in our
>> community.  I invest most of my free time in Squeak and I don't feel
>> this
>> sacrifice is producing results.
>>
>>> From my point of view We're trying to organize so much, and in the
>>> reality
>> we have pages and pages describing a process (the harvesting process)
>> that
>> don't work.  The bureaucracy is killing us.  The steps to get a fix
>> approved are, in most of the cases, more difficult and time consumer
>> than
>> the fix itself.  We have lists of people with roles (guides,
>> harvesters,
>> etc) but in the reality only a few of them are active and working.
>>
>> We have big problems and I don't feel the community realize of it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Diego Gomez Deck
>>
>> PS: I'm talking for my own and my thoughts are not the MCP-team
>> opinions.

Prof. Dr. Stephane DUCASSE  	[ | ]
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html