*ListMorphs

Sean Charles bibbers at onetel.net.uk
Mon May 5 10:55:14 UTC 2003

> transformer object that can be sent a domain object, and produces an
> appropriate morph. This fixes both the "recieves only strings" and the
> "displays only string morphs" problems.

Shouldn't / Wouldn't it be better to make the domain objects responsible
for this? The rule is already in place as a lot of objects understand
messages like asString, asColor, asXYZ etc.

I can smell a double despatch in the offing....the PLM has a list of
things to display and then we could extend Object, say, to have a message,
  again say, Object>>asPLMEntry which can then call back to the PLM with
the relevant info. At this point you get into some gooey (GUI?) stuff...

(pauses for coffee)

...do you pass back a Morph for display or would it be *QUICKER* to pass
the canvas into the object so it can render itself, with clipping etc,
like in  conventional Windows / Palm / OS2 PM type of thing. All those
unnecessary morph operations do slow it down somewhat.

I am a great fan and 'massive respect' is due to Morphic but sometimes it
is such a drag, literally, with big lists. Yeah, sure, download Lex's
patch etc etc but that's going to put off beginners. It (Morphic in
general, PLM in particular) needs to be a lean mean list machine out of
the box to gain credibility.

Mind you, gimme ten minutes with a scoffer of Smalltalk and I usually
leave them open-mouthed and goggling once I show them that the ability to
load the Joe Cartoon FrogBlender shockwave file is nothing compared to the
rotating it, strecthing it and all the time blob morphs consume or
proc-create or whatever it is they do AND while playing the disgruntled
office worker MPEG. Oh yeah, and I can be working too! HA HA HA!

Sean Charles.

PS: Im a *damn fine* IT if I say so myself (who said that?)
analyst/programmer yet I've been unemployed (not as good as you though, a*
*hole!) for nearly two years here in the UK! HA HA HA. What the hell is
going on? Lottery Pact: If I win, I'll wiliiingly fund EVERYBODY to work
on Squeak full time. Promise. ;-)

Got three estate agents coming next week, getting close to the edge now...
!