*ListMorphs

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Mon May 5 18:10:29 UTC 2003

Sean Charles <bibbers at onetel.net.uk> wrote:

> > transformer object that can be sent a domain object, and produces an
> > appropriate morph. This fixes both the "recieves only strings" and the
> > "displays only string morphs" problems.

> Shouldn't / Wouldn't it be better to make the domain objects responsible
> for this? The rule is already in place as a lot of objects understand
> messages like asString, asColor, asXYZ etc.

I think a transformer is perfectly appropriate, especially if you
remember the 'P' in 'PLM' stands for "Pluggable".  I would prefer that
the domain object (a Patient, a Customer, a Class, etc.) not need to
know very much about how it is to be displayed and, especially, I would
not want it to have a dependency on Morphic.

> (pauses for coffee)

How ironic (see below).

> PS: Im a *damn fine* IT if I say so myself (who said that?)
> analyst/programmer yet I've been unemployed (not as good as you though, a*

I believe it was FBI agent Cooper in the TV show Twin Peaks, referring
to a cup of coffee.

-- Frank