Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue May 6 02:06:11 UTC 2003

The mail contained two parts deserving of separate answers...
Again, my personal opinions.

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Almost all of the discussions I've seen ended in some more or less vague
> statement that essentially said "we'll wait until X and then we'll review
> the issue". Which - unless the topic in question was put up onto your table
> again - has never happened (or at least I don't recall any such case).

Yes. Goran makes SM (makes a packaging system be convert from images to
distributions). Craig is making the tiny-end target, hopefully the base
to load distributions into. Tim is converting VMMaking into an activity
suitable for grandmothers and even me. Doug does releases. Ned answers
mysterious questions and fixes mysterious bugs. I mostly guide people in
refactoring the image into clean (un)loadable pieces to move to SM (and
occaisonally try to make the harvest cycle cheaper). We collectively try
to give people someone to ask "what do I do with this?".

The initiative about EVERYTHING ELSE, lies with the community.

Everybody -
We WONT remember your issue for you. It's not that it isn't important -
its just YOUR issue. You care MORE about it than we do. You know it
BETTER. Why should you wait for us to do something about it? You don't
expect the state to take care of your childs education do you? (hm, bad
example? ;-)

By all means, fix it, and put the issue back on the table again.

> It
> leaves one with the kind of impression that "nothing happens". Not
> surprisingly, this is part of the frustration I read out of Diego's post
> (besides some other issues).
I think I see what you mean.

In the large, people have come to expect Squeak to be a roller coaster
of wonders coming from SqC ready made, which was occaisonaly erratic
(but that usually means something REALLY great is in the works) but
usually incredible. I too was hooked by precisely that.

Sorry guys, us Guides can not do that for you.

Maybe the community as a whole can - we're doing what we can to make
*that* possible, if you want to do it.

BTW, I think it's important to achieve this again that stuff like
OpenCroquet and it's parts get fed back into the core (some into the
image, some into packages). I'd like all of us to find a way for that to
happen.

Daniel