Timezones

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue May 6 03:30:31 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:19:06PM +0200, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> A whole timezone DB is probably best left a package. Does anyone think
> ANSI style TimeZone handling itself is too much brains for basic Squeak?

Yes.

TimeZone is large and I intended it to be kept outside of the the basic
Squeak image. It's a good thing to load into a server Squeak or an image
that needs to know about timezones around the world, but there is no reason
to inflict it on all Squeak users.

> How small is the minimal subset of ANSI (4) that would make you happy?
>
> How much code uses the existing time, and what other than changing
> references would be required (primitive to get the timezone? for
> example)?

Lex Spoon proposed a simple primitive for obtaining timezone offset
information from the underlying OS (he and I swapped a few versions
back and forth, and I can dig his final proposal out of my archives if
there is interest).  I think that this simple mechanism is suitable for
the base image.

Dave