Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue May 6 07:06:38 UTC 2003

> Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>>> convince a Harvester it should be an ENHancement, not a SM entry.
>>
>> Funny you should mention this (see my post at SqF list) as I was just
>> wondering how exactly one does this.

Another way one could do this is to post an [ENH] which simply points
to the SM entry, and includes your explanation of why you think it
should be included.

Or, if there is an old [ENH] posting from when someone originally
submitted this, you could reply (using the commenting convention) with
your "Why" explanation also.  (Technically, SqC members can approve
items, so you could even decide to [approve] the enhancement.  Although
these types of not-too-small enhancements probably deserve some
discussion before they're approved.)

One other thing that's probably delaying these items is that the
proposed 3.6 Plan includes package removals, then KCP/MCP additions,
and then larger enhancements (such as these) in the schedule.  I guess
it's not clear from the plan if these must be done in this order, but
it does simplify things to not have larger enhancements happening in
the middle of trying to do removals/KCP/MCP stuff.  And since the
package removals and KCP items are pretty much ready to go now, we
might as well incorporate those first, anyway.

>> * TrueType text style
>>
>> http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/ab8088ce-4b01-4a15-bbff-
>> 82241d16
>> 205e
>>   Why: If you have to ask this question you are not using Squeak for
>> any
>> media activity.
> You may find this curious, but actually, I don't. So I have to.

I don't really use Squeak for any media activities either, but I think
this change should go in the release.  (Although I am interested in
graphics & appearance issues...)

>> If you do, then you don't have to ask. This is not a package
>> - it's a basic requirement for anyone who does media stuff.
> Ok, then let media stuff doers load the package. We'll eventually also
> be removing movie playing, sound and all that happy crappy into
> packages
> that will be very easy to load, all at once, for people that want media
> stuff. However, if you want to say it makes Squeak prettier/nicer for
> all audiences, I'd be glad to read some details/raves :-)

I think it does makes Squeak prettier/nicer for nearly all audiences.
:-)  For myself, it lets me easily use nice-looking antialiased fonts
in browsers and all other windows, simply by going to the
appearance/fonts menu.  Loading new TrueType fonts is pretty easy, too.
  This is all done in the image (without relying on any
platform-specific primitives), and only adds one new class to the image
(along with changing a bunch of methods :-) ).  Basically, in this case
I think the benefit-cost ratio is quite high.

- Doug Way