What we want with Squeak?

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Tue May 6 08:23:21 UTC 2003

Hi,

I think we're really near to find *the* source of all these discussion we
have periodically since SqC leaves Disney.

What we want with Squeak? Clearly there are 2 groups:

  - The "Media-Squeakers" (in Andreas's words)
  - The "Traditional-Squeaker" (in my words)

I'll try to explain creating radicalized descriptions of these groups:

The Media-Squeakers believes in Squeak as the most promising incarnation of
the Dynabook concept. These guys want TTF in the Image, Sound, Midi, PDF
support, SVG readers/writers, Improved Look&Feel, Video support, etc and
they are able to accept a big core image.

The Traditional-Squeakers are more interested in "normal" development with
Squeak and they are interested in SOAP, Relational DB Access, CORBA, CVS
support, cgi-type web servers, native-widgets, etc.  These guys want a
really small core image with nothing more than stdio support.

If we don't agree with the goals difficulty we'll agree on methods.

We have to decide what we want with Squeak and accept that, probably, the
goals of these groups are not the same.  Personally I think we have not
enough resources to try to get all the goals of both groups.

In the SqC age the Media-Group was in charge and Squeak has excellent
multimedia capabilities and absolute no support for "traditional"
development.   In the Guides-Age these goals, imho, are not so clear.

Cheers,

Diego