What we want with Squeak?

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue May 6 14:30:07 UTC 2003

Hi, Stephen!

The pink plane / blue plane tension is certainly a critical force.  My
concern is that the desire to move Squeak out onto the pink (let's say
"practical") plane must not pull it away from the intersection with the
orthogonally oriented blue ("bold?"  :-) plane.   Squeak (IMO) should not
try to compete with or try to become like other versions of Smalltalk, but
should instead continue to do what Smalltalk did twenty or thirty years ago
by 'competing with' (defining) the future and being what others want to
emulate.  I keep thinking of the story of the Jobs demo at PARC, which led
to a whole industry trying with all their might to build systems which
simply *looked like* what "proto-Squeak" ST-72 could actually do.

To address your metaphor, the engines must not fail; but every successful
Moon-shot to date has required that some of the engines must fall off once
their purpose has been achieved.

All the best,

Gary