What we want with Squeak?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue May 6 21:53:55 UTC 2003

Howdy Diego,

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:
[snip]
>>What I think is being collectively expressed here by many people is not
>>that "media is more important than web development".

Yes, yes.

> This is not a juice to “web development” at all.
>
> The point is: Can we produce fully multimedia content and web applications
> with the same tool?

Absolutely.

> As an example: I used to program web applications for living, but I can use
> gnu/st, visualworks, dolphin, smalltalk/x, etc for it.

This is true. But none of those is as cross platform as Squeak. Not a
knock on any of those other communities, but I like the Squeak
community. I think it is an asset.

Like many here, time is a valuable resource for me. Squeak being able to
do all that I want it to do (when I am able) is of extraordinary
importance to me. I don't really want to have to learn and become
proficient in a multiplicity of tools, IDEs, languages, etc..., in order
to accomplish those things I want to do. Squeak is able. I personally
place a large value on its diversity of capabilities.

>>I think what
>>you're really saying is that the need for a rich loaded Squeak image is
>>also critical, because that's what draws people to play with Squeak in
>>the first place.
>
> I'm trying to express my feelings: Squeak is better defined as a media-
> producer than as a power-php.

I don't see that it needs to be an either/or proposition.

The people who want to push Squeak as the best Media Environment
available aren't going to spend time making it the best web-tool.

The people pushing Squeak to be the best web-tool aren't going to put
that same time into Squeak the Media Environment. (But that doesn't mean
they won't use or enjoy it.)

Stephen, Avi, Julian, etc. because of what their day jobs are, are going
to put a certain amount of time into creating what they percieve to be
the best web-tool available for them. We are blessed that the see Squeak
as that tool. (Avi and Julian could be hacking Ruby.)  It in no means
conflicts with Squeak Media.
[snip]

> I'm trying hard, beleive me! :)

I do. Be of good cheer, mi amigo!