Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue May 6 21:59:02 UTC 2003

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:
> [snip]

>>[It provides support for beautiful fonts, as an example, you can see
>>Diegos look enhancements]
>>That wasn't hard, was it? BTW, it's too bad that this isn't the first
>>line of the SM packages description... you don't really expect people
>>to understand all that technical mumbo jumbo, right Yoshiki? ;-)
>>
>>I don't think it should go into the image. Anyone differs?
>
> Me!
>
> Squeak is the most important and promising multimedia environment. We
> *really* need high quality font support in the core-image.

I whole-heartedly agree. I would love the ability to use a systems
available fonts.

On my Macs over the years, the one folder I backed up regularly was my
Fonts folder. Because I would install new apps and they would install
new fonts. Over the years I would no longer use those apps but still
desired those fonts. Fonts are a valuable resource. Some people have
paid good money for some of the fonts that they have. Not being able to
use them can be discouraging to some people.

I won't state I understand all issues regarding font use in Squeak. But
I will state that some of us do find it desirable.

Jimmie Houchin