Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue May 6 23:58:55 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
[blah-blah fontstuff]
> The short answer is that there's a difference between the standard fonts
> shipped with Squeak and those that users of Squeak may like to use. When I
> use Verdana (which I do all the time) I'm only pitying those people who
> don't have it ;-) And fortunately, I _could_ take the imported StrikeFont
> and ship it with the text if I would care deeply enough!
Exactly - you're using a font that can go along with an image, thereby
solving the problem entirely adequately. No problem there except perhaps
the manner of shipping the font (as already included strikefonts in the
image? in a directory that lives with the vm? in an application bundle?)
to the user.

> Sure thing. But VW never had a set of "builtin" fonts, never had a way of
> dealing with fonts for itself, which required people to find "some ways" of
> getting true cross-platform appearance.
Again, exactly my point. It was using the 'systems available fonts' and
so suffering from the fact that not all systems had the same available
fonts.

With the seemingly decent range of free TTF fonts around (I found for
example the following sites:-
www.gimmefonts.com
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8992/
http://fonts.iconbar.com/index.html
http://www.Macfonts.com/
), so long as we have a sensible way to
include/distribute them we're in good order and should damn well get on
with using them. They look so much better it's ridiculous. In fact, we
should include Diego's tarting ups as well, at least as an alternative.

tim

Strange OpCodes: RLBM: Ruin Logic Board Multiple