Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed May 7 07:43:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:35:44AM +0200, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I'm not asking that you sell it to the whole world, and I'm not saying
> it should stay on SM. But why should we not be able to get one more
> independent person to seriously use and vouch for *the only solution*
> for Squeak multilingualization? why should it matter for this that it's
> on SM? and not included? because we might choose to go with the
> competition? there isn't any.
>
> I would really love Squeak base to be multilingual, but I don't think
> we're ready yet, even if it turns out the code is ready. OTOH, it only
> been easily available to the world for a short time. Maybe it'll attract
> users by or even before 3.7.

No, it won't: it even doesn't work anymore in 3.5 (it worked fine in 3.4).
I think the main reason is that it adds to many methods that contructs
the user-interface to make it multi-language. That's a nice example
that there is a big difference between a patch and a module: patches
are *extremely* fragile.

Actually, Esther Mietzsch just posted to the german squeakers list that
she has nearly finished a complete german Squeak using Yoshiki's stuff,
so this will get very important for us in the future.

    Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de