Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed May 7 10:38:30 UTC 2003

AAaaarrgh! Come on guys!

You are making me annoyed with all this "What do we want Squeak to be?
yaddayadda".

How on earth can you believe that we as a community could unite behind a
*single direction*?

It is *obvious* to me that Squeak is A LOT OF THINGS. Just live with it.
Squeak is what the community *wants* it to be. By god damn definition.
We all scratch our itches. We are all different.

If it wasn't for the community we wouldn't have a whole bunch of web
stuff, a whole bunch of remote object/distributed object stuff, an OODB
like Magma etc etc. SqC didn't care one bit about such things. But other
people in the community DOES.

But that doesn't mean that we (the non-superduper-multimedia-dreamers)
want Squeak to turn into a dull bread-and-butter enivironment. I love
multimedia! I just don't do that stuff in my daily Squeaking - but I
really love that other people do it!

So stop whining and be happy instead that Squeak has SO MUCH to offer us
all in ALL directions.

And that is how it *should be*. Jesus, let's drop this silly discussion
and focus again on TrueType Textstyle and friends. That's interesting to
discuss.

And my personal view on that particular subject is that if it is a
"patch" (compared to an addon) really improving code already in the
image (as I have gotten the impression it is) then by all means, let's
get it in. It will eventually go out into a package anyway - a larger
front/text package or whatever.

Remember people - *everything will eventually be turned into a package*.
Everything. Well, not Boolean, Array and a few friends but *everything
else*. Sure, it will take a lot of time and work.

And again - this does NOT mean that you will need to hunt down thousands
of packages manually. Of course not. A single click and then you have
your favourite multimedia-rich-super-duper-image. Ok? Everybody surely
must have understood this by now.

regards, Göran

PS. Not really annoyed as in "irritated", just annoyed as in "amazed we
are having this discussion". Squeak is a place - a platform for modern
computing. That covers almost everything. I am amazed people haven't
realized that. Just look through the package list on SM...

PPS. Andreas? Have you read the plan for 3.6? If you had you would
surely know approximately what the Guides are pushing in 3.6. Like
package removals, MCP, KCP and SM1.1 for example.