Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed May 7 10:14:51 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:45:46PM +0200, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> > it even doesn't work anymore in 3.5 (it worked fine in 3.4).
> > I think the main reason is that it adds to many methods that contructs
> > the user-interface to make it multi-language. That's a nice example
> > that there is a big difference between a patch and a module: patches
> > are *extremely* fragile.=20
> We agree this is a patch, I am aware it is not viale for the long term
> outside the image. OTOH, being a patch by itself doesn't guarantee that
> it won't screw us up. How do you reconcile these two? popular stuff
> needs to get reviewed before inclusion, and quick. I hope it will be
> working out wonderfully for this example.

Ok, actually we are in full agreement here.

The next thing I'l do is actually trying to make some reviews of the smaller
fixes out there, and I hope someone will review mine. Especially
the trivial changes are the one that will help us to move forward:

1) Everyone will get the impression that "something is moving"
2) this will help to get the harvesting process going. How will we ever
manage to add big things if we can't get the simple small changesets
reviewed and harvested?

     Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de