Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed May 7 14:42:15 UTC 2003

hi andreas

why are you saying that?

> Ah, shoot. Why am I even writing this. The battle is lost anyways.
> There is
> simply nothing I can do convince the guides that the media (and many
> other)
> stuff is as important as any of the other activities. At least it is
> now
> clear to me that the original vision of Squeak is really dead today.
> "Thank
> you" for making this so utterly obvious.

Just create a group of 2 or 3 interested in media and others and make
the same we are doing for KCP or others. I think that people will love
to see that and this will be part of Squeak.
Am'I that wrong? Or just become a Guides, I would love to see you
Guides.

I see the future as:
	- groups of people having certain objectives collaborating to produce
something good
	- guides just to pay attention that there is conflict of interest
(meaning one group
	screw up work of another one)
	- Squeak trying to incorporate all the stuff

Sure this can be difficult but this is exciting.

What I would like to see is:
	- excellent network support
	- excellent multimedia support
	- excellent UI builder support (because Morph stinks and the system
suffers of
	all these Smalltalk isMorphic everywhere, and we do not have yet a
good UI builder)
	- excellent kernel support (compilers, AST, ...)

I think that the guides are missing to point at key aspects other
people should work on.
But this is not a tragedy just a current lack. I think that this is
what we should learn form the current crisis.

Stef